Cranbourne trainer Mick Kent will chase Spring Carnival Group 1 glory with Supido after the five year old returned to the winner’s circle in the Group 3 $150,000 PFD Food Services Monash Stakes (1100m) at Caulfield last Saturday.
Supido was having his fourth run in this preparation when he stormed home with Luke Nolen in the saddle to record his first win since taking out a 1000m Handicap down the Flemington straight in May last year.
The rising six year old has been tested at Group 1 level on three previous occasions with his best result being a third behind Black Heart Bart and Under The Louvre in the 2016 Group 1 $500,000 Darley Goodwood (1200m) at Morphettville.
“I’m sure he’s a Group 1 horse,” Kent told racing.com.
“I think he’s got Group 1 ability.
“It’s good to get this win out of the way because it’s his first Stakes win. He’s Group 1 and Group 2-placed but I’ve been dying to get a Stakes win with him.”
“It was a nice win and hopefully he makes nice improvement off it.”
Kent said that Supido would step out next in the Group 3 $150,000 Bletchingly Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield on July 29 before targeting a Spring Carnival Group 1 feature.
“We’ll head to the Bletchingly now in a fortnight and then see where we go from there, but I would like to get him back into a Group 1 race one day,” Kent said.
“He’s got the figures to run a mile, he’s probably bred that way, but he’s got such a quick turn of foot we haven’t had to go there yet.
“He’d run ‘seven’ (furlong, 1400m) on his ear. He likes a sit behind them and can quicken up whenever you want him to and he’s a great chaser.”
A possible target for Supido could be the first Group 1 of the new racing season, the $1m Memsie Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield on September 2.
Supido has been a model of consistency with seven wins and three minor placings from thirteen starts with a total of $471,150 in prizemoney earnings.