Jockey Brad Rawiller is confident that Second Effort can become the first horse since Tauto in 1972 to win back-to-back editions of the Group 2 P.B. Lawrence Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield on Saturday.
Second Effort upstaged a strong field to win the race last year and heads into the event in career best form after an unlucky third in the Sir John Monash Stakes (1100m) and a typically gusty win in the Group 3 Bletchingly Stakes (1200m).
Rawiller has ridden the son of Mossman in his last three starts, for two wins and a third, and has quickly grown an affinity for the horse.
There is rain forecast for Melbourne on Saturday, which will significantly improve the winning chances of Second Effort who has won nine times from eleven starts on rain affected tracks, but Rawiller believes the seven-year-old doesn’t need the wet to win his third Group event on Saturday.
“This preparation he has been going along better than ever and the 1400 looks ideal now,” Rawiller told Radio Sports National.
“He was terrific in the Bletchingly and there is some rain about and that will certainly only be good for his chances.
“We keep saying how much better he is when there is rain about but he hasn’t shirked the issue when it has been a bit firmer as well.
“Either way he goes into the race as a great chance.”
Second Effort will jump from barrier four and should receive a handy run into the race with Rawiller guaranteeing that the gelding will produce his typical tough effort.
“He is one of those honest triers who does his best every time that he goes around,” Rawiller said.
Second Effort will face stiff competition in the P.B. Lawrence Stakes on Saturday with Melbourne Cup favourite Puissance De Lune, consistent Darley gelding Launay and classy four-year-old Ajeeb all set to take part.