Dual Group 1 winner Sincero is nearing a return to racing after recovering from a strained sesamoid ligament suffered early this year.
Sincero has not been seen at the races since finishing ninth in the Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m) last October but has trialed twice in the past month and trainer Stephen Farley believes he is ready to begin his spring campaign.
Farley told Radio Sports National that it had been a lengthy process getting Sincero back to racing fitness but said he is happy with how the six-year-old gelding has progressed since entering serious work.
“We gave him four to five months off and we brought him back nice and slowly,” Farley said.
“His last trail was very nice, he got off the speed and really found the line well.
“The horse has eaten up well since then and seems fine.”
Farley’s original plan was to have Sincero defend his title in the Group 1 Memsie Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield on August 31 but with the Memsie set to draw a very strong field, the Wyong-based trainer is looking at other options closer to home.
“Our first plan is to hopefully get down for the Memsie,” Farley said.
“That will be weighed up in the next twenty-four to forty-eight hours with the owners.
“At this stage we will nominate Monday and have a look.
“If we don’t go down there he will probably stay in Sydney and kick-off in the Tramway.”
The Cox Plate has been the major spring carnival goal for Sincero the past two years but he has struggled to perform at his best over 2000 metres – placing just once in six starts at longer than a mile.
This season Farley plans to keep the son of Umatilla to at a mile with the Group 1 George Main Stakes (1600m) at Randwick on September 21 and the Group 1 Emirates Stakes (1600m) at Flemington on November 9 both on the agenda.
Sincero is aiming to become the first horse since the great Kingston Town to win the George Main Stakes on multiple occasions.