Trainer Clinton McDonald is delighted with Second Effort as the seasoned galloper prepares for the Group 3 Bletchingly Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield on Saturday.
Second Effort resumed in the Sir John Monash Stakes (1100m) a fortnight ago and despite being checked early in the race stormed home to finish third behind Pago Rock and Elite Elle.
McDonald told Racing Ahead that the Mossman gelding has improved from his first-up run and is primed for a big performance on Saturday.
“He has really come on, the first-up run was always going to be his vulnerable one and we feel that he has trained on beautifully,” McDonald said.
“He has done everything right and he is going into Saturday really starting to get to where he needs to be.”
McDonald set the early season John Monash Stakes, Bletchingly Stakes, Group 2 P.B. Lawrence Stakes (1400m) and Group 1 Memsie Stakes (1400m) as the major 2013 Spring Racing Carnival targets for the rising seven-year-old and he is hopeful Second Effort can add another win at Group level to his racing resume this campaign.
“We are really focusing on these first four runs to be his goals and hopefully everything can fall into place for him,” McDonald said.
Helping Second Effort’s chances of recording his first win in Melbourne since the 2012 P.B. Lawrence Stakes at Caulfield is the large amounts of rain expected in the Australian racing capital this week.
The six-year-old is one of Australian racings leading wet track performers, having recorded nine wins from eleven starts on rain affected tracks, and has previously been victorious on a bog track at Caulfield.
Second Effort will have to at his best in the Bletchingly Stakes with John Monash Stakes winner Pago Rock, classy filly Elite Elle and Darley gelding Launay all set to take part.