Second Effort Relishes Sydney’s Gloomy Forecast

By: Sarah Fortnum
December 12th, 2011

Trainer Clinton Mcdonald is hoping the rain in Sydney will continue to fall this week as he aims Second Effort towards the Listed Razor Sharp Handicap this Saturday.

Second Effort will be first-up in the race after having a successful autumn and winter campaign earlier this year.

The Mossman gelding won four of his eight starts and only finished outside the placings on two occasions during his most recent preparation.

The five-year-old was purchased for just $45,000 at the 2008 Inglis Premier Yearling Sale and has now won six of his 14 race starts and earned more than $160,000 in prize money.

Mcdonald is hoping the heavy rain won’t hold off above Warwick Farm this weekend.

“I won’t be unhappy if it keeps raining,” McDonald said.

“The wetter the better. He’s very good on wet tracks.”

Second Effort will be looking to redeem himself after finishing seventh at his last start in the Group 3 Bletchingly Stakes in July.

Mcdonald insists that the result was not a true indication of the horse’s ability.

“You’ll notice in his form he had about six weeks between runs going into the Bletchingly because of a couple of hiccups,” he said.

“There was nothing serious. He had a boil in his mouth and he whacked his leg but he was left sitting there (in limbo) for a while.”

The only hurdle in this Saturday’s Razor Sharp is the distance, which was altered from 1,100 metre to 1,200 metres as of this year.

“Originally when I looked at the program it was down as an 1100-metre race,” Mcdonald said.

“I would have preferred 1100 metres first-up but he’s fit enough and as long as it’s wet I won’t have any concerns.”

Regular jockey Danny Nikolic will again jump aboard Second Effort for his run in this Saturday’s Razor Sharp.

Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Add your comment and join the discussion.