The 2016 Melbourne Cup form guide can be tricky reading for novice punters, so we have done the hard work for you!
Our quick Melbourne Cup form guide has everything that you need to know about all 24 runners in easy-to-read bite-sized form.
1. Big Orange – Big Orange has outstanding form over 3200 metres in Europe and he will give himself every possible chance right on the speed.
2. Our Ivanhowe – Our Ivanhowe returned to a semblance of his best form in the Caulfield Cup, but he still needs to improve on that to win the Melbourne Cup.
3. Curren Mirotic – Current Mirotic would be more than competitive in this race on his best form, but those performances are few and far between.
4. Bondi Beach – Bondi Beach took out his first two starts at the beginning of his current racing season before being a touch disappointing in his last two starts.
5. Exospheric – Exospheric ran well in the Caulfield Cup, but it is tough to see him turning-the-tables on Jameka.
6. Hartnell – Hartnell is the Melbourne Cup favourite for a reason and he will be very tough to beat if he settles in the early stages of the race.
7. Who Shot Thebarman – Who Shot Thebarman finished third in the Melbourne Cup in 2014, but his best days are probably behind him.
8. Wicklow Brave – Wicklow Brave beat early Melbourne Cup favourite Order Of St George last start and a repeat of that performance would make him an outstanding each-way bet.
9. Almoonqith – Almoonqith ran the best closing sectionals in the Caulfield Cup and the wide barrier draw gives him the chance to get into the race, which he was unable to do last year.
10. Gallante – Gallante won the Sydney Cup in the autumn, but he was lacklustre in the Moonee Valley Cup and the Sydney Cup winner has a very poor record in the Melbourne Cup.
11. Grand Marshal – Grand Marshal returned to winning form in the Moonee Valley Cup and he is one horse that you know will run out a strong 3200 metres.
12. Jameka – Jameka looks to have the edge over the rest of her Caulfield Cup rivals, but she would still need to improve on that performance to beat the leading international chances.
13. Heartbreak City – Heartbreak City produced an outstanding performance to win the Ebor Handicap, but that was something off a spike rating and he is yet to prove that he can replicate that level.
14. Sir John Hawkwood – It is tough to see Sir John Hawkwood winning the Melbourne Cup, but The Metropolitan winner should run better than his Melbourne Cup odds suggest.
15. Excess Knowledge– Excess Knowledge finished a credible seventh in the Melbourne Cup 12 months ago, but it is tough to see him improving on that performance.
16. Beautiful Romance – Beautiful Romance’s lead-up form is below the level of the other leading European chances, but she does have some upside.
17. Almandin – Almandin earnt himself a place in the 2016 Melbourne Cup field with his win in The Bart Cummings and he is one of the best-weighted horses in the race.
18. Assign – Assign won the Herbert Power Stakes, but that form does not look particularly strong and she is deserving of her position as an outsider.
19. Grey Lion – Grey Lion fought out the finish in the Geelong Cup, but this is obviously a much tougher assignment.
20. Oceanographer – Oceanographer produced stunning closing sectionals to win the Lexus Stakes and if he is able to repeat that performance he will be right in the finish.
21. Secret Number – Secret Number has only had one race start since he finished second in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes last year, but he is a stayer that does have a great deal of upside.
22. Pentathlon – Pentathlon was placed over 3200 metres in the Wellington Cup earlier this year, but he hasn’t been able to replicate that form in Australia.
23. Qewy – Qewy is the likely leader in the 2016 Melbourne Cup and there is no doubt that he will be in the race for a very long way.
24. Rose Of Virginia – Rose Of Virginia looks completely outclassed in the Melbourne Cup and it would be a surprise if she did not run last.
For more information about every horse in the field check out our complete 2016 Melbourne Cup form guide.