Trainer Chris Waller has copped a significant blow to his spring racing hopes with Cox Plate contender My Kingdom Of Fife forced out of the remainder of the campaign due to a hoof problem.
The six-year-old gelding pulled up lame following his impressive two and a half-length victory in the Group 3 Craven Plate last Saturday and x-ray results today revealed the extend of the injury.
While his spring target was due to be the $3 million Cox Plate, My Kingdom Of Fife had also accepted for the $2.5 million Caulfield Cup and the $6.2 million Melbourne Cup.
“He’s pulled up okay from Saturday, but not 100 percent and I’m not prepared to take the risk and push on towards the Carnival with him,” Waller said.
“We knew the writing was on the wall after Saturday, but we chose not to believe that he’d pulled up too bad and patched him and took him to the beach for a couple of days and that masked everything.
“But yesterday morning I wasn’t 100 percent happy and then we got him scanned and x-rayed late yesterday afternoon and only got the results back now to say that’s not 100 percent and needs to be kept.”
The trainer is unsure whether My Kingdom Of Fife will make an appearance in time for next year’s autumn carnival.
“If we look after the horse now, I wouldn’t say (he’ll be back for) the autumn, but we’ll definitely be there next spring,” he said.
My Kingdom Of Fife, who was imported from England earlier this year, has won four of his six races since arriving in Australia and is yet to finish worse than second.