Munce Set for Eagle Farm Return

By: Isaac Ling
April 4th, 2013

Leading Brisbane jockey Chris Munce will resume race riding at Eagle Farm on Wednesday after undergoing treatment for throat cancer.

Chris Munce will return to race riding on Wednesday. Photo by: Daniel Costello.

Munce’s treatment finished on February 25 and he began riding trackwork last month.

The 43-year-old is excited about the prospect of getting back in the saddle on raceday and has been undertaking personal training sessions in order to regain his fitness.

“I am leaving no stone unturned to gain full fitness and am back working with Josh Mills, one of the best personal trainers around,” Munce said in his blog.

“My recovery is coming along well. So well in fact, I have pencilled in next Wednesday as my comeback to race riding.”

Munce admits he has “pulled up a bit sore in the legs” after riding horses in trackwork but believes the timing is right to make his return.

“I am feeling a lot better and really looking forward to getting back to race riding and being back in the jockeys’ room with the lads,” he said.

“The last week has been good. I’ve kept on improving.”

Munce has tasted success on racing’s biggest stages, having won the 1998 Melbourne Cup aboard Jezabeel, the Cox Plate with Savabeel (2004) and the Caulfield Cup on Descarado (2010).

He’s also won two Golden Slippers (Prowl, 1998 and Dance Hero, 2004) and the Doncaster Mile (Assertive Lad, 2001).

Despite being based in Brisbane Munce is still considered one of Australia’s best riders and was called upon to ride superstar colt All Too Hard in last year’s Cox Plate where he finished second.

Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Add your comment and join the discussion.