Melbourne Cup Still on Jakkalberry’s Agenda

By: Isaac Ling
June 20th, 2013

Melbourne Cup third placegetter Jakkalberry is making solid progress in his recovery from a leg injury, giving connections reason to be optimistic that he can again target Australia’s most prestigious race.

Jakkalberry is on track for the Melbourne Cup. Photo by: Race Horse Photos Australia.

The seven-year-old was hurt when winning the the Group 2 Dubai City Of Gold (2400m) in March but is expected to return to work next week.

Jakkalberry is Australian owned, with Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock purchasing the entire with the Melbourne Cup in mind.

Speaking with ATB’s Darren Dance in the UK, trainer Marco Botti said he is hopeful of getting him back to full fitness ahead of his second Cup tilt.

“Jakkalberry is recovering really well, we’re really pleased with the way he’s progressing,” Botti said.

“He’s due to start cantering in a week’s time and hopefully he’s still on schedule for the Melbourne Cup. We couldn’t be happier and so far, so good.”

While Jakkalberry won’t be competing, ATB will still be represented at this week’s Royal Ascot carnival, with recent acquisition Dandino to contest the Group 2 Hardwicke Stakes (2400m) on Saturday.

Dandino was also bought to chase the riches on offer in Australia’s biggest spring races.

On Saturday he clashes with fellow Melbourne Cup hopeful Mount Athos and Botti is confident he is ideally placed.

“I think he will have a very good chance,” Botti said.

“I hope the ground won’t change a lot. Ideally, good to firm is what we want.

“It’s at his best trip, a mile and a half (2400m), and I think he’s definitely a live chance.”

Under former trainer James Fanshaw the six-year-old won last year’s Group 3 September Stakes.

Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Add your comment and join the discussion.