Manduro’s Son To Make Australian Racing Debut In Herbert Power Stakes

By: Thomas Hackett
September 29th, 2014

Trainer Mike Moroney has revealed that Manduro’s Son is set to make his Australian racing debut in the 2014 Herbert Power Stakes at Caulfield on October 11.

Mick Moroney will give Manduro's Son the opportunity to qualify for the 2014 Melbourne Cup.

Mick Moroney will give Manduro's Son the opportunity to qualify for the 2014 Melbourne Cup. Photo by: Race Horse Photos Australia

Manduro’s Son arrived in Australia on Sunday after serving out his quarantine requirements in the United Kingdom and he did not have a trouble free arrival International Equine Quarantine Centre in Werribee.

Moroney told Racing.com that Manduro’s Son had lost 15 kilograms on the flight from the United Kingdom to Australia, but quickly bounced back from the tough flight and he completed a light canter over 800 metres on the track this morning.

“He was a little bit on his toes when he first got here,” Moroney said.

“Johnny Perzani who looked after Voleuse De Coeurs here last year is here with him and he just said he got a little bit on his toes and took a little while to settle down.

“He lost about 15 (kilograms), but he found the 14 straight back in the first 24 hours, which is really good.”

Manduro’s Son has been included in the nominations for both the Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) and the Group 1 Melbourne Cup (3200m), but he is currently at the bottom of the order of entry for both races.

Moroney admits that Manduro’s Son will need to win a ballot-exempt race to qualify for a start in either event and said that the Manduro gelding will be given the opportunity to do that in the Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes (2400m) and the Group 3 Lexus Stakes (2500m) at Flemington on November 1.

“More than likely the Herbert Power Stakes is where we will kick off and give him a chance to make the Caulfield Cup and then we will go into the Saab and try to make our way into the Melbourne Cup if he doesn’t do it through those two races,” Moroney said.

Manduro’s Son made his racing debut under the care of Beguigne in France and he worked his way through the grades before he was purchased by Ballymore Stables after taking out the Prix De Precy at Chantilly on June 30 and the Group Handicap De Maisons-Laffitte on July 27.

Manduro’s Son is currently available at 2014 Melbourne Cup odds of $101 with Ladbrokes Australia and he is priced at the same quote to take out the Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m).

Moroney also has Araldo on a Melbourne Cup path, but talented mare Voleuse De Coeurs was ruled out of the 2014 Spring Racing Carnival due to injury.

Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Add your comment and join the discussion.