Latin News Out To Break Drought in Melbourne

By: Isaac Ling
October 18th, 2012

He has not won since the Gosford Guineas in April 2010 but Bryan Dais believes recent stable addition Latin News can make an impact in the Group 2 Caulfield Sprint (1100m) this Saturday.

The Group 1 placegetter has had just one start under Brisbane-based Dais, a runner-up finish to Too Many Reds at Eagle Farm last month, but he had no hesitations about taking him to Melbourne.

“He’s only had the one run for me but everything he’s shown so far has been good,” Dais said.

“He might not have won for two and a half years but he’s performed in better races than what he faces this weekend.”

In some ways Dais sees his lack of winning form as a blessing as it means the six-year-old will carry the minimum of 53.5kg on Saturday.

“He gets in really well at the weights. I could have run him in Brisbane last week and he’d have to carry a big weight and it’s never easy to carry weight no matter where you are racing,” he said.

“He’s Group 1 placed and won nearly $500,000 in prizemoney and if he’d won one of those big races he’s placed in he’d be carrying a lot more.”

Chasing glory during Australia’s premier racing period is not the only motivation of taking Latin News to Melbourne, with victory at Group level set to see his value as a stallion rise considerably.

“Being an entire and given what he’s shown, we thought we’d bring him down to Melbourne and give him a crack at winning a Group 2 race to try and improve his value,” Dais said.

Previously trained by Bart Cummings and then David Payne, career highlights include finishing third in the 2010 BTC Cup and a runner-up effort in the Group 3 George Moore Stakes in 2011.

Dais said Latin News is also likely to contest the Group 2 Salinger Stakes (1200m) at Flemington on November 3.

Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Add your comment and join the discussion.