Jukebox Jury Leads Melbourne Cup First Declarations

By: Sarah Fortnum
October 4th, 2011
Breaking News

Last month’s Irish St Leger winner Jukebox Jury has been given the number one ballot for the Melbourne Cup ahead of last year’s winner Americain according to the first declarations that were released this afternoon.

The five-year-old has now won three of four races this campaign and is currently in quarantine at Newmarket in England.

The Montjeu entire is due to arrive in Australia on October 15.

While Jukebox Jury has received the top ballot for the Cup, Americain remains the top weight of the field with 58 kilograms.

The latest round of acceptances has cut the list of Melbourne Cup hopefuls from 163 to 79.

High in the ballot order is Chris Waller’s My Kingdom Of Fife, who continued his dominance with a win in the Group 3 Craven Plate at Randwick last Saturday.

The six-year-old will compete in the $3 million Cox Plate on October 22 before Waller makes a decision about his Melbourne Cup chances.

“I know it’s ambitious but we’re all entitled to dream, that’s what this sport is about and he will head to the Cox Plate and give it a crack,” Waller said following the horse’s most recent win.

“He’s raced seven times the left-handed way which will be an advantage.”

Notably absent from the list of acceptances is Maluckyday, who was forced out of the spring racing carnival due to a virus.

“It is not career threatening but needs treating, it is frustrating and disappointing but all going well he will be back bigger and better for the autumn,” co-trainer John Hawkes said after discovering the problem last month.

Scarlett Lady, Littorio, Harris Tweed, King’s Rose and Black And Bent have all not accepted for the $6.2 million Melbourne due to injury or necessary spells.

 

Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Add your comment and join the discussion.