Jockey Peter Robl Back From 12 Month Suspension

By: Sarah Fortnum
November 24th, 2011

Jockey Peter Robl will have his first ride back from his 12 month-long ban from racing aboard Clarry Conners’ Diamond Start at Canterbury this Saturday.

Robl’s well documented fall from grace occurred when he illegally bet on a race though his wife’s TAB account last year.

The jockey is hoping to achieve the massive task of winning the Australian Turf Club Handicap at Canterbury this Saturday aboard the two-year-old Lonhro filly.

Trainer Clarry Conners is confident that it is a strong possibility.

“We had the grass track on Tuesday morning and she handled the wet pretty good,” Conners said.

“Peter rode her and said she worked well and that she handled it, so that might be the case.

“She’s only a lightly-framed filly and sometimes those horses can get through it.

“It’s not a big field and she’s an on-pace runner that does nothing wrong.

“Peter has ridden her a few times on the track of a morning and knows her.

“I think it will come back to him pretty quickly.”

Robl is thankful for Conners’ forgiving nature.

“It would be an outstanding result if that could happen,” Robl said.

“He was the bloke that got me to come to Sydney four years ago, so it’s a privilege and an honour to have my first ride back for Clarry after the 12 months.

“And if it was to win, words can’t describe the satisfaction we’d all get out of that.”







Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Add your comment and join the discussion.