Tough sprinter Hay List is set to miss this year’s Group 1 $1m Lexus Newmarket Handicap (1200m) at Flemington on March 10 but an overseas trip in still on the agenda.
Trainer John McNair said that Hay List had pulled up in good order after locking horns with super mare Black Caviar in last week’s Lightning Stakes at Flemington but is not in a rush to saddle him up quickly.
“If he doesn’t race for another five weeks, I don’t think that would be a bad thing,” McNair said.
“Our plan is to race him throughout the year without a spell so the longer he has between runs the better.”
.Hay List’s part owner Peter Davenport was full of praise for his six year old after he slugged it out with the world’s number sprinter down the Flemington straight.
“It was beyond freakish. She is something out of this world,” Davenport said.
“For him to be able to do that first-up makes us all so happy. We knew he was well but you never know until they go out there and do it.”
Glyn Shcofield on board Hay List left no one at Flemington in doubt when he put the pressure on Black Caviar at the 600m which results in him running a sensational sectional of 10.04s from the 600m to 400m which forced the mighty mare to respond with a 9.98s for the same sectional.
Hay List was having his first start since picking up a serious leg infection during last year’s Brisbane Winter Carnival and connections were very proud of his performance.
Davenport would love to see the pair clash again and this might be a reality if connections decide to send Hay List to Dubai or England.
“I think between him and her (Black Caviar) they could take out all the international sprint races. It would be great if Australia could win a few races instead of just one or two,” he said.
“In saying that, it would be awesome to see the two of them rumble again up the big Royal Ascot straight.”
The Group 1 $400,000 Power Tracker William Reid Stakes (1200m) at Moonee Valley on March 23 is Hay List’s likely next start and then possibly go for back to back Challenge Stakes (1100m) at Rosehill on March 31.
Davenport and McNair will keep their options open until Hay List lines up again and then decide if an overseas trip is on the cards and in what direction they will take.