Ford Confident He Has A Shot At The Title

By: Sarah Fortnum
June 30th, 2011

Returning jockey Jay Ford is confident that Title is capable of claiming another stakes win in this Saturday’s Listed Civic Stakes at Gosford.

Ford, who was forced out of the saddle for five months last year after receiving shoulder surgery, claimed his first city winner since returning to racing aboard the four-year.

Title has won his last two starts, including the Listed Takeover Target Stakes on June 24.

The win came as a fitting one for Ford, who partnered the champion Takeover Target during his long career.

“At the end of the day you need the cattle,” Ford said.

“It’s been nice to get back on Title and win a couple of races.

“Obviously the Listed race last week was terrific for all involved and I guess it helps me re-establish myself in the riding ranks and getting a bit of a roll on.”

Despite the thrilling win in last Friday’s race, the Civic Stakes have always been Title’s main aim of this preparation.

Ford believes he is in the perfect position to put another stakes win to his name.

“He’s drawn well in barrier six, I think he gets in pretty well at the weights with 56-1/2 kilos and (trainer) Joe (Pride) is very happy with the horse this week,” Ford said.

“We know he backs up well, he’s won over 1400 metres and loves a wet track, so I think there’s a lot of positives for him heading into this race.

“I’d like to think he’s a strong chance again.”

Trainer Joe Pride was genuinely surprised when Title rushed from mid-field to gain the win in the Takeover Target Stakes.

“I just love it when my horses surprise me and he genuinely surprised me at Gosford,” Pride said.

“I thought he would be competitive, I wouldn’t have had him in that race if I didn’t, but to win and win with authority was great.

“I’m looking forward to Saturday.”

Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Add your comment and join the discussion.