December Draw “Bomb-Proof” Ahead Of Caulfield Cup Run

By: Sarah Fortnum
September 23rd, 2011
Breaking News
December Draw

December Draw is heading towards the Caulfield Cup

December Draw appears on song to continue his stellar spring campaign as he heads towards the $2.5 million Caulfield Cup next month.

The five-year-old gelding was assured a start in the Caulfield Cup after he won the Group 3 Naturalism Stakes at Caulfield last weekend.

Jockey Michael Rodd believes there is even more improvement to be seen from December Draw.

“It’s a horse we’re all still learning about,” Rodd said.

“He’s a horse with a good turn of foot and he can get you out of trouble.

“That’s a big upside.

“He’s a pretty horse dealing with around the stables and trackwork so at the moment he’s looking bomb-proof.”

December Draw will now go to the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes at Flemington on October 2.

“He’ll race at Flemington on Sunday week in the Turnbull,” Rodd said.

“It’s going to be probably half the Caulfield Cup runners’ lead-up run.

“Hopefully we can be cherry ripe for the Caulfield Cup.”

Rodd is hopeful that last year’s Melbourne Cup winner Americain’s connections will choose not to accept for the Caulfield Cup, allowing him to make the weight.

Should Americain not run, weights will be increased by two kilograms.

“I really hope Americain doesn’t accept for the Caulfield Cup,” he said.

“I can get to 53 kilograms.”

 

 

Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Add your comment and join the discussion.