Conners hoping for drying Canterbury track for Decision Time

By: Mark Mazzaglia
July 22nd, 2016

Trainer Clarry Conners is hoping for the Canterbury track to dry out considerably before Decision Time steps out in the $85,000 July Sprint (1100m) on Saturday.

Decision Time will be looking for a drying track for the July Sprint at  Canterbury. Photo by Steve Hart.

Decision Time will be looking for a drying track for the July Sprint at Canterbury. Photo by Steve Hart.

But Conners’ hopes look to be at long odds with the track still rated a heavy 9 on Friday afternoon with the Bureau Of Meteorology forecast more showers on Saturday morning.

Conners said that he will wait as long as possible before making a final decision if the eight year old takes his place in the final field.

“We will make the decision late,” Conners told AAP.

“I don’t think we really want to run him on a heavy track so I’m relying on Canterbury to dry out.

“He’s terribly well and I’m very happy with him and it would be great to get another win with him before he retires.

“It’s close and it will only get harder for him from now on with all the good horses coming back.”

Conners had high hopes of Decision Time racing well in the Listed $160,000 Crowe Horwath Ramornie Handicap (1200m) at Grafton on July 13 but after throwing a shoe in the mounting yard was unable to be replated and was subsequently scratched at the barrier.

“He pulled the plate off in the mounting yard and instead of them re-shoeing him there they made him go round to the barriers,” Conners said.

“But he has equilox filling in the hoof and by the time he got to the barrier there was none left so they couldn’t put a shoe on it.

“It’s just another thing in racing.”

Decision Time is at the healthy odds at $12 for the July Stakes at Ladbrokes.com.au who have the Peter and Paul Snowden trained Redzel as the $3.20 favourite.

Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Add your comment and join the discussion.