Trainer Gerald Ryan is yet to decide whether Charlie Boy will contest the Group 1 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes (1400m) or Group 3 Caulfield Guineas Prelude (1400m) at Caulfield this Sunday.
Ryan has kept his options open by including the three-year-old in the nominations for both races and he told Sky Racing HQ that he will make his decision after analyzing the likely fields for each race before acceptances close tomorrow.
“He will run on Sunday – we just need to decide whether he runs in the Sir Rupert Clarke with 52 on his back or the Caulfield Guineas Prelude with 57.5 because he cops a penalty,” Ryan said.
“We will have a look at the noms and see what they look like.”
Charlie Boy failed to live up to his potential as a two-year-old but stamped himself as a Group 1 contender with his impressive victory in the Group 2 Danehill Stakes (1200m) at Flemington on September 7.
Ryan said that the Myboycharlie colt has come out of the race strongly and expects him to run well in whichever event he contests this weekend.
“His work has been good,” Ryan said.
“He went well at Caulfield on the course proper this morning.
“His work is very strong all the way through the line.
“He trained on well and he has toughened up a bit.”
Three-year-olds have an excellent record in the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes but Charlie Boy will have to be at his very best to be competitive against a number of the Group 1 quality horses that have been included in the nominations for the 2013 edition of the race.
Australian Guineas winner Ferlax, who finished second behind Atlantic Jewel in the Group 1 Memsie Stakes (1400m), is expected to contest the race while popular grey Linton, Robert Smerdon-trained Luckygray and last year’s third placegetter Solzhenitsyn are all a chance to add another Group 1 win to their racing resumes.
Other interesting Rupert Clarke Stakes nominees include imported galloper December Draw, Patinack Farm-owned Peron, Theo Marks Stakes winner Riva De Lago and the in-form Boban.