Jockey Glyn Schofield is keeping his fingers crossed that he will recover in time to ride Hay List in his next showdown with superstar Black Caviar next month.
Schofield broke his collarbone after falling from Hawk Island in the Sydney Cup last weekend and was unable to ride Hay List to victory in the Group 1 All Aged Stakes later in the day.
The jockey received an operation by specialist surgeon Dr David Duckworth on Monday and had recovered enough to return home yesterday.
“Dr Duckworth came in on Easter Monday to do the operation,” Schofield said.
“He inserted a plate in my right collarbone which will aid my recovery and I’ve got to say my shoulder feels pretty good at the moment.”
Despite being told his collarbone will take between three and four weeks to heal, Schofield only has 18 days before the $400,000 BTC Cup on May 14.
“It’s going to be tight but I’m giving myself every chance to be fit to ride Hay List,” Schofield said.
“I’m going to start spending time in a hyperbaric chamber which hopefully is going to speed up the recovery process.”
Hay List’s trainer, John McNair, said that he felt “gutted” for Schofield after he was unable to ride his horse after the fall last Saturday.
“Glyn has put a lot of work into this horse, he’s a good horseman, a good bloke, and I feel gutted for him,” McNair said.
McNair has received a relentless stream of enquiries from jockeys wanting to ride Hay List in the BTC Cup should Schofield not recover in time.
“I think I’ve had a call from every jockey’s manager in Australia – and some from overseas,” he said.
“Glen Boss rode Hay List in the All Aged Stakes and said he was willing to come back from Singapore to ride the horse at Doomben.”
The trainer is still waiting to see whether Schofield will be able to ride, and will not make a final decision for another week or so.
“…I’m in no rush to make a decision and I’ll wait to see how Glyn recovers from injury,” McNair said.
“We have another week to 10 days before we need to worry about a jockey.”
While the BTC Cup in Brisbane is currently scheduled as Hay List’s next start, McNair is open to taking his champion horse to the Group 1 The Goodwood in Adelaide on May 7.
With transportation costs set to total $35,000, McNair is hoping to secure sponsorship from South Australia to make the trip.
“If there was a way to get Hay List to Adelaide, I’d do it,” McNair said.
The trainer said the short one week break between runs wouldn’t be a problem for Hay List.
“I would have no problems then putting him on a plane to Brisbane to take on Black Caviar the next week,” McNair said.
“I don’t think Hay List has ever been going better and the way he has pulled up after the All Aged Stakes, I wish there was another race for him this weekend.”
Hay List has failed to beat Black Caviar in their last three meetings but the trainer is hoping the rise in distance to 1,400 metres in the BTC Cup at Doomben Racecourse will make a difference.
”We are fit now and I figure we may as well have another crack at her while we are,” McNair said.
”I just wish the race was this weekend, he has done that well.”