-->

Arrowfield Sprint The Major Autumn Target For Takedown

Deposit $100
to get

$250*

*In Bonus-bets

View Offers

Deposit $50 bet with

$200*

*In Bonus-bets

View Offers

Deposit $25
to get

$75*

*In Bonus-bets

View Offers

Deposit $250
to get

$250*

*In Bonus-bets

View Offers

Trainer Gary Moore has revealed that the 2016 Arrowfield Sprint at Royal Randwick on April 9 will be the major Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival target for talented gelding Takedown.

Takedown is set to return to the races after undergoing a throat operation during his stint in the spelling paddock. Photo by: Steve Hart

Takedown is set to return to the races after undergoing a throat operation during his stint in the spelling paddock. Photo by: Steve Hart

Takedown was found with abnormal breathing and a throat abnormality following his seventh place finish in the Group 3 Carbine Club Stakes (1600m) at Flemington on October 31 and he underwent a throat operation during his stint in the spelling paddock.

Moore told Sky Racing HQ that Takedown had responded well to the surgery and would return to the races for an autumn preparation that will be centred on a tilt at the Group 2 Arrowfield Three-Year-Old Sprint (1200m).

“He was probably running on 30 to 40 percent air at the later part of his last prep, but he is going really well and is a lot brighter in the coat,” Moore said.

“He worked well this morning and he wasn’t observed to make any noise at all.

“I think that his opportune distance is 1400 and he will get out there later on in his preparation, but his main goal will be the Arrowfield Three-Year-old on the 9th of April during The Championships.”

Takedown made his racing debut with a second place finish at Kembla Grange in February of last year and he recorded his maiden race win at Hawkesbury before he took out the Group 3 Black Opal Stakes (1200m) and Group 3 The Schweppervensce (1400m) with brave front-running performances.

He was sent to the spelling paddock after he failed to fire in the Group 1 Champagne Stakes (1600m) at Royal Randwick on April 18 and he returned to the races with a good third behind Counterattack in the Listed Heritage Stakes (1100m) at Royal Randwick on September 10 and he was far from disgraced when fourth in the Group 2 Roman Consul Stakes (1200m) at Royal Randwick on October 3.

Takedown made his Melbourne racing debut in the Listed Gothic Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield on October 17 and he beat home just a single runner before he was sent to a break following the Carbine Club Stakes.

The Arrowfield Sprint, formally known as the Royal Sovereign Stakes, is now worth an impressive $500,000 in prizemoney and previous winners of the race include Shaftesbury Avenue (1990), Assertive Lad (2001), Lonhro (2002), Exceed And Excel (2004), Dance Hero (2005), Shoot Out (2010), Hot Snitzel (2012), Rebel Dane (2013), Sidestep (2014) and Delectation (2015).

About The Author

Thomas Hackett

Thomas is a passionate and opinionated racing journalist and punter who has been obsessed with horse racing since he backed Saintly to win the 1996 Melbourne Cup. An international racing enthusiast, he has his finger on the pulse of racing news not just from Australia but all around the world.

1 Comment

  1. ed sheeran 2017

    I think other web-site proprietors should take this web site as an model – very clean and wonderful style and design, as well as the content. You’re an expert in this topic!

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *