Glamour mare Winx kicked off her 2016 Cox Plate preparation with an easy trail on the Kensington Track at Randwick today.
Winx was unextended by Hugh Bowman to finish fourth to Ramornie Handicap winner Volatility after travelling in fifth position on the fence in the 850m trial.
The Chris Waller trained super mare was making …
Latest Horse Racing News
Lindsay Park co-trainer Tom Dabernig is tipping a wide barrier will help the chances of Fast ‘N’ Rocking in the Group 3 $150,000 Bletchingly Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield on Saturday.
Fast ‘N’ Rocking was hopelessly help up for a clear run when he finished sixth to Wild Rain in the Group 3 $150,000 Food Services …
Super star mare Winx was just put through the motions by jockey Hugh Bowman as he tuned up her powerful engine for the upcoming Spring Carnival which will include the defence of her Cox Plate title.
Winx was never out of first gear when she went to the line under a throttle hold from Bowman …
Leading Northern Territory trainer Gary Clarke will saddle up the two top fancies, Lightinthenite and Finke, in the $200,000 Carlton Mid Darwin Cup (2000m) at Fannie Bay on Monday.
Finke is in line to collect a Ladbrokes Triple Crown $100,000 bonus if he can win the Darwin Cup and is currently fighting for favouritism his …
- The Cleaner not to run in Bletchingly Stakes
- Bondeiger Tough to Beat in Vobis Gold Stayers
- Weight to decide Big Orange’s 2016 Melbourne Cup assault
- Mahuta to Benefit from Bletchingly Stakes Run
- Capitalist Primed for Missile Stakes Following Strong Trial
- Cocoa Doll A Chance in Lightning Stakes
- Dunn facing tough task to catch Williams in premiership chase
- Sacred Elixir can earn a start in Cox Plate
- Max Dynamite struggling to regain Melbourne Cup form
- Awake In Grinzing Victoria Derby hope
Australian Horse Racing
Horse racing in Australia first began when the First Fleet docked on Australian soil on January 26th, 1788, and brought with it one stallion, one colt and two fillies from Cape Town, South Africa. Since that day, Australian Horse Racing has prospered into one of the most established and widely respected racing industries in the world.
The Australian horse racing calendar consists of 19,376 horse races that are held across 2,694 race meetings each year. Of these races, 19,281 are comprised of flat racing, while only 95 are classified as jump races. The country has a staggering 194,736 race starters, made up of 31,776 individual runners, competing on Australia’s 367 racecourses each year.
Australia’s most coveted race is the annual Melbourne Cup, which takes place on the first Tuesday of November each year and is worth an incredible $6 million. Every year this historic event, which began in 1861, attracts crowds in excess of 100,000 people. 2003’s Melbourne Cup holds the record for the highest number of attendees, with 122,736 people gathering to watch Makybe Diva win her first of three consecutive Melbourne Cup titles.
The Melbourne Cup attracts an annual viewership of nearly 2.6 million people, not including those who watch the race at pubs, schools and offices, and truly is the ‘race that stops a nation’. Every year, each person on average in Australia places $8.50 worth of bets on the race that incites interest from the entire country.
Horse racing in Australia offers some of the most lucrative prize money in the world, with almost $422 million paid out annually to money winning horses. This figure is the third highest in the globe, behind only Japan ($1.36 billion) and the United States of America ($1.42 billion). Throughout the year Australians turn over more than $14.3 billion in wagering, equalling an average of $637 per person. $10 billion of this money is punted on the TAB, while in excess of $4.3 billion is spent on the track or with online bookmakers. 46.9% of all bets placed are win tickets, while the second most common ticket type is trifecta bets, which account for 16.1% of all wagers made.
The horse racing industry generates more than $6.2 billion in revenue for the Australian economy each year and provides jobs for 250,000 people, demonstrating the reach of racing industry on our culture. Racing culture is so prevalent in our day to day life that approximately 1 in every 89 Australians are working in the industry.
Breaking Horse Racing News
- Into The Red is the WJ Healy Stakes Winner
4:24pm , 25 Jun
- 2016 Tattersall’s Tiara Results: Miss Cover Girl Wins
3:35pm , 25 Jun
- Index Linked Returns to Winning Form in Tattersall’s Cup
2:14pm , 25 Jun
- 2016 Queensland Oaks Results: Provocative Too Good
4:47pm , 11 Jun
- 2016 Stradbroke Handicap Results: Under The Louvre Scores Narrow Win
4:04pm , 11 Jun
Racing Field & Form News
Stablemates Sagaronne and Mr Epic are set to clash when they line up in the $60,000 QTIS 3yo Handicap (1615m) at Doomben on Saturday.
Mr Epic is chasing a hat trick of wins following his victory in a 1600m three year old Plate at Rockhampton on June 25 followed by a win in a 3yo …
- Clarke has the 2 favourites in Darwin Cup
- Stablemates to clash in Doomben 3yo Handicap
- The Cleaner draws nicely at 2 in Bletchingly Stakes
- Oxford Poet looking for back to back wins in Winter Challenge
- Showpero to chase hat trick in Lightning Stakes
- Conners hoping for drying Canterbury track for Decision Time
- Voodoo Lad expected to return to the winner’s stall at Flemington
- Victoria Derby campaign could lie ahead for Stately Boy
- Lauterbrunnen the best of Heathcote’s Doomben runners
- Williams and Dunn neck and neck heading to Flemington
In another Australian online bookmaker first from the leading sportsbook down under Ladbrokes Australia have gone live with their exclusive new Odds Boost betting product giving punters increased prices on any race every day.
Odds boost gives every Ladbrokes member better odds on any racing market of their choice daily and is simple to use. …
Horse Racing Calendar 2016
Upcoming Horse Racing